Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Watch You're Language!

One of the main themes of Animal Farm is the use of language. In this novel, the main characters, who originally try to lead the other animals to a new and better life, end up leading them to a world that's the same as it was before, but with their own kind as the leader. How did it come to be this way? Language abuse. Many call it an art form (different than poetry and such). Truth is, if you find people who are skeptical about listening to what you say, you can form/shape words, phrases, etc. to almost hypnotize them into believing you whole-heartedly. This puts language under the category of "art", for it turns it into something people would walk past (such as a bush) to something  people would stare at for a long time (like a bush the shape of The Thinker). This is what occurs in Animal Farm. Napoleon, the dictator of even the dictators (Snowball-the fairer but weaker leader), constantly stretches the truth, or uses Squealer "the secretary", to do it for him. He even changes the laws to match his behaviors. As much as I loved this book, that is one thing I could not stand about it. As I was reading this, rage was just building inside of me because this just wasn't fair. And nobody, mainly the ones that could, spoke up and questioned it. This happens a lot in today's society. One of the best examples to relate this aspect of the novel to would be the government, but it also relates quite well to high school conversations. This is where language turns from and art form to  just abuse, yet it has the same effect.

I know it's a stretch, but it's pretty darn true. I know everyone in high school has at least once been a victim of language abuse or a user of language abuse. What I mean by this is twisting the truth or meaning of a word in a way to hurt a specific person or group of friends. In a way, I think this is worse than what Napoleon did in Animal Farm. Why? It's a weapon. It cuts just as deep as a knife would. I don't know if I've noticed this more around me this year because I'm older or because I hold a leadership position, but it occurs a lot more than I thought. And it stinks. Everyday I hear some rumor about some one I doubt is true, and everyday I hear words used in a way that they aren't meant to be used. Or maybe they are, but I feel like the meaning has been lost, just like the laws that Napoleon twisted. Therefore, they appear to be used inapporpriately. If we're not careful, we'll continue to live in a world of lies that just continues to spiral downward, like in Animal Farm, towards the point where nothing is "real" anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome topic for a post. I really enjoyed it, personally because I hate grammar and language misuse and try my best to maintain mine properly. I like your connection to it from Animal Farm, definitely got me thinking..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to start this by apologizing if I am a little off because the last time I read this book was eighth grade. While I love the fact that you were able to relate Animal Farm to high school, I think the comparison may be a little extreme. I don't think those in high school try to manipulate people using language like politicians do. I also think that language abuse and misuse of language are different things. To me abuse means taking more serious terms and using them lightly, like the term "retard". While, misuse implies that the person using the word does not know what it means and is using the term incorrectly. With that said, I love that you were able to think this way and it has made me think more about what I say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the play on language abuse in the title!

    ReplyDelete